Trends, Shares, Hashtags and Retweets! Twitter is social media’s most interactive resource to keep in touch with virtually anything and anyone you so desire, and, in real time. Since Twitter became one of the leading social media sites, I have become curious to know the numbers that make Twitter unique; so I did some research and I came up with a list of my favorite ever-changing Twitter statistics.
– 124,000,000,000 (Yes, that’s 9 Zero’s!) Tweets worldwide in 2012
– 500 million Twitter users worldwide
– 300 thousand NEW Twitter visitors every day
– 73 percent of Twitter users are between 15 and 25 years old
– 50 percent of 2013 Super Bowl ads mentioned Twitter
– 24 million Tweets accounted for during the 2013 Super Bowl (XLVII); up nearly 50 percent from 12 million in 2011 and 15 million in 2012
– 22 percent of Twitter user accounts are located in the United States (that’s 110 million Americans!)
– 16 million: the amount of the official Twitter account followers
– 11 new accounts are created every second
– 7 years since Twitter’s 2006 launch at SXSW
– 2nd ranked country for Twitter users is the England, just behind the US
– 1st Ranked for Twitter followers is Justin Bieber, 34 million and counting
Regardless of what number or metric we measure, it’s clear that social media has taken the world by storm. Nearly 1.5 billion people engage in one or more social media platform as of December 2012; that’s 30% of adults worldwide. The numbers for the United States are even more impressive with 69% of Americans ages 15 and up using social media, for a tally of 168 million users. It’s always been said that “numbers don’t lie”; so my educated guess is that this social media craze will only grow and become more embedded in our culture and economy just as the internet and television did some 20 and 60 years ago. Until next time, happy Tweeting, Liking, Pinning and connecting!